Saturday, October 11, 2008

Happy 60th Birthday, Dad! :)

My Daddyo is one of my best buddies, text-message faithfuls, and confidante to me, for the last 30....er,... yikes almost 31 years! I really thank God for giving me such a special and amazing dad! Something that really touches me to this day is that my dad tucked me into bed EVERYNIGHT... he would talk with me, place all my stuffed animals protectively and snuggly around my head, create silly and entertaining bed time stories (where many times I was the Princess- aha! that's where I get my "Princess-Complex," friends!), and that warm good night kiss that made me feel so safe and loved. EVERYDAY! Wow! And in highschool, it might not have been the same cutesy good night ritual... stuffed animals, etc. but it was a time he checked up on me and still made me feel so safe and loved. That's key!

I could tell you a TON more about what makes him so special; like how he had THREE jobs at one point to provide for our family, how he fulfilled the American Dream and has his own successful family-run business (sdav.com), how he coached my brother's little league teams... ok, ok, i'll stop! I might make Yo jealous! :)

If Yo and I have a baby girl someday, I want Yo to be just like my dad!

We love you, dad! xoxo.

7 comments:

Me & My Boys said...

Awww T! You are definitely sooo blessed to have the dad you do, thanks for sharing those sweet childhood memories! :)

We are so blessed to just know your dad, let alone to have him as part of our lives!!!

Happy 60th Jim!!! We love you! :)

P.s. I love how he's holding the fish in the pic with you and your bro!!! :)

Sharon M. Smith said...

To think how many people grow up with out a dad. Their role in our lives imperitive to our own emotional well being. My dad was always the one to call me every week when I left the house at age 18. He was so faithful in calling and even now us kids always say, "Remember how dad would say such and such." Our fond memerios of how our dad has touched our lives live on. I'm not sure why we take for granted our dads when we grow up - but just like you, we now have the chance to show them how much we appreciate them. Thanks for sharing about your dad.

Unknown said...

It's so cute because anytime you talk about him it's visible how much you love him by how you just light up. I hope my husband can be a great dad someday to our kids too :-) especially because I didn't have one.

Did he love his present?! How did the cool cake come out? It's such a bummer that you were so sick that day :-( Hope you're feeling much better now! xoxo

Anonymous said...

Tira you are so blessed to have a loving, and stable dad. He was the first man you fell in love with and I thnk that's awesome. That's something I never had growing up even though I have a dad. I pray that all of our husbands would be great dads like yours was and is. Especially for our little girls (hopefully one day God will bless us with) I hope your dad had a wonderful 60th!!!

xo,
Britt

jena said...

so cute! I love your love for your dad...did that make since?

Anonymous said...

I usually don't comment on blogs but this article really tugged at me. People like your Dad are the backbone of giving kids a strong foundation as adults. Reading this just makes me want to try that much harder to be a wonderful parent. It also reminds me of the sad but true fact that so many children never had this growing up. Thanks for sharing.

NixonsMamma said...

Anonymous, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I soooo agree with you!

I know it sounds crazy, but I really feel the reason I didn't have a ton of boyfriends growing up, and stayed pure until my marriage day was because my dad truly was a good example of a man to me. I didn't need to look elsewhere... and once the right GOOD guy came around! Bam, I tied the knot! :)

All to say, it's so important for girls to have a strong male figure in their life! :)