Saturday, January 10, 2009

2009

I am in denial that it is 2009! Since I haven't really had to write it down anywhere (i'm not in school, and i don't write checks!), I'm still in 2008! :) Well, after reading my good friend Sharon's blog about resolutions, and being nagged by Kim the last 10 days (haa, haa! kidding K2!! what would i do without you!? xoxo) ... I realized I am about ready to make a new goal. Don't get me wrong, I thrive off of working towards something, and completing it. It's so fulfilling! :) I love goals! Just like I love to-do lists! I'm not the non-committal-type and, I don't think I'm lazy. :) But, you should know, I am pretty extreme-- "ALL, or nothing." Thanks to my dear Chinese Mom. :) I do things, completely! or NOT. There is no half-way with me.

I've battled back n' forth on what to make my goal. Workout more? No. Clean the house more? No. Cut out sugar? Heck no! Everything that people traditionally make goals for, wasn't resonating with me this year. I knew I wanted to work on something different. Something "inside." hmm??? It would be lofty (and cheesy) to say "I want to become a better person," huh? But after thinking about what that meant for ME, and my personal areas of weakness-- I ran into a few verses in the Bible this week-- and then I knew it! That's my goal!

1 Corinthians 13:1-13:
"If I could speak in any language in heaven or on earth but didn't love others, I would only be making meaningless noise like a loud gong or a clanging cymbal. If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I knew all the mysteries of the future and knew everything about everything, but didn't love others, what good would I be? And if I had the gift of faith so that I could speak to a mountain and make it move, without love I would be no good to anybody. If I gave everything I have to the poor and even sacrificed my body, I could boast about it; but if I didn't love others, I would be of no value whatsoever.

Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. Love does not demand it's own way. Love is not irritable, and it keeps no record of when it has been wronged. It is never glad about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.

Love will last forever....
There are three things that will endure--- faith, hope, and love--- and the greatest of these is LOVE."

There's another set of verses that jumped out at me this week- Romans 12:6-21:
"God has given each of us the ability to do certain things well. So if God has given you the ability to prophesy, speak out when you have faith that God is speaking through you. If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching. If your gift is to encourage others, do it! If you have money, share it generously. If God has given you leadership ability, take the responsibility seriously. And if you have a gift for showing kindness to others, do it gladly.

Don't just pretend that you love others. Really love them. Hate what is wrong. Stand on the side of good. Love each other with genuine affection and take delight in honoring each other. Never be lazy in your work, but serve the Lord enthusiastically.

Be glad for all God is planning for you. Be patient in trouble, and always be prayerful. When God's children are in need, be the one to help them out. And get into the habit of inviting guests home for dinner, or, if they need lodging, for the night.

If people persecute you because you are a believer, don't curse them; pray that God will bless them. When others are happy, be happy with them. If they are sad, share their sorrows. Live in harmony with each other. Don't try to act important, but enjoy the company of ordinary people. And don't think you know it all!"

So basically, I really want to live 2009, LOVING God & people more, and DOING what God is calling me to do, each day.

I'm still brainstorming on how I can break this down a little... and make it do-able? I guess my big thing now is asking myself, "Tira, how can YOU love people better?" and "How can I live out each day with more purpose?" Any ideas? xoxo.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tira,
You are so inspiring. Your blog makes me want to be a better person too. You can do whatever you set out to do and you know it. Happy New Year!

Julie F.

Me & My Boys said...

Yay for New Year's Goals, sorry for nagging! :p he,he!!!

What an awesome goal, I think deep down we all truly just want to be better people! :) You already are such a loving person who strives to do what God has called you to, I know that He is truly going to bless you heart to love His people & serve Him even more!

Can't wait to see how your goal unfolds this year! xoxo

NixonsMamma said...

Julie and Kim, you guys are so encouraging! :)

I just feel like last year when I found myself hurt, bitterness crept in, and then bitterness squelches true freedom and joy. BLECH!! I also probably had a bad attitude more often than usual over a few things.

I know I'll make the same mistakes for the rest of my life, but maybe, just maybe I can give some of my heart issues a tune-up in 2009! :) With God's help, of course!

Love endures, and conquers all-- right? :)

Happy New Year! xoxo.

elly said...

tira, your thoughts for this year are beautiful. truly, is anything more important? i remember when my dad died i simply wanted to love more. scott and i saw "fireproof" on friday night, and it really challenged me on what love looks like when one isn't loved in return. reality check for this girl on how i truly do love.

Sharon M. Smith said...

Thanks for sharing your challendge. One year I felt bitter towards people and the people around me I just felt I was so selfish with them. So the next January I made a resolution to seek God and ask Him how I could love others more. He showed me love through His Word and my attitude towards people and myself really changed. I still need to go back and reflect and relearn, but it was a very healing year.

amber dawn said...

WOW! What a fantastic New Year's Resolution! I might have to steal that one! ha ha! ;)
Really though, thanks for putting all of your thoughts into words on 'paper' and for sharing those awesome verses. May God bless your request and honest sweet heart this year T! Love you friend!

The Barroga Family said...

Tira,

That is a wonderful goal, I might have to use yours and LOVE people more. i struggle big time in this area and I know God would want me to love everyone in spite of their differences. This new year is going to bring a lot of change to our world and to our lives. I pray that God remains the center of all of our hearts and that we can learn to love others as god loves them. thanks for sharing, I really love your new Years goal/resolution.
xoxo

The Barroga Family said...

That's bug G for God, I made a typo =\