Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A "steep" life lesson

So today I was motivated to WALK to our local library. If you aren't familiar with the route from our home to the Pt Loma Library, let me share with you...
3 words.
STEEP
HILL
UP.
Now I drive 99% of the time, but I had an alterior motive today... let's be real, I'm trying to fit into Rox's black cocktail dress for our cruise to Cabo in 2 weeks. Doesn't help to do a little more exercising, right? haa! :) Nix and I venture out... as I start to make the steep incline, a driver honks and hollers, "Good luck!" No really, it's that steep!! When I was ALMOST up to the top, two neighbors in their garage laughed and said- "Almost there!" (as I'm sure, under their breath were thinking- "dumb overzealous Mom!") :) Xenophon St. (check it out, i'm not lying!)

So, with my face parallel to the ground, pushing the stroller for the life of me.... i realize, "Wow, it's so cool that I've seen so many American flags out today. I love how patriotic Pt Loma is!" Then it hit me... It's Veteran's Day! a second later it really hit me... THE LIBRARY IS CLOSED!!!! Aaagh! All that blood, sweat, and tears....

I decided to finish the hike to the top, and I'm so glad I did. Look what I got blessed with!

SD Horizon-- ahhh, the beauty!
(see the edge! S-T-E-E-P.)

Moral of the story- Whatever hard thing you're going thru right now, whatever mountain you are facing... GO UP IT! Give it all you got! Sometimes it's stinkin sweaty work getting there, and then we don't even get there. But, look around. It really can be a beautiful journey!


Look at my lil' runt. So happy, he has TWO leaves!
That's it. Two dead leaves, and a beautiful view of the city!
Child-like faith.


7 comments:

Me & My Boys said...

I Love your narration of this post and I love the lesson that you were able to take from your adventure today! AND I absolutely love the last pic of Nix..."child like faith" indeed...oh to be a kid again! :)

On another note, I can totally vouch for the steepness of that hill and I will NEVER forget hiking up it with you less than a week before Caleb was due and Heidi calling right in the middle of the hike to tell me it would be a great day to go into labor! Seriously she did!!! :) haha! Hey it definitely got the ball rolling! Caleb came right on time! he,he! :)

Unknown said...

I love my family!

Kristy said...

So I have that same picture that you have of Nixon except with Tabitha--running happily with fall leaf in hand. Tabitha Wakayama...it's so meant to be :)

NixonsMamma said...

Tabitha Wakayama! Sounds awesome, Kristy! :) hee,hee.

I promise to be a normal, nice, and loving mother-in-law! haaa! :)

Unknown said...

OH NO!!LOL!! What a great story and moral:) You poor thing, all the way up the hill for nothin'.

Sharon M. Smith said...

So, you didn't say anything about how you got down the hill. That step of hill with a stroller is no easy task eaither. Thanks for sharing such a fun story.

amber dawn said...

Ha ha! This is an awesome post! ;) Reminds me of the good ol' days...and our awesome sweaty-stinky workouts!!!